Associate Plant Scientist
Join our growing R&D team!
- Job Title
Associate Plant Scientist
- Job #
- Requisition Type
- Posting Start Date
The Home & Garden business unit of Spectrum Brands is based in St. Louis, Missouri with distribution, manufacturing and sales offices throughout the US and globe. We are a leading supplier of consumer products nationally for the home, lawn and garden, insect and weed control markets. We deliver groundbreaking products of exceptional value and top-notch quality to consumers with our well-recognized brands including Spectracide, Hot Shot, Cutter, Repel, Black Flag, Garden Safe, EcoLogic and Liquid Fence.
The Associate Plant Scientist will work collaboratively with members of the Research & Development (R&D), Marketing, and Regulatory team to develop new herbicides and plant pest solutions. Will assist in the conduct of experiments and tests with herbicides, fungicides, and insecticides as part of the Plant Science research program. The role will be responsible for plant seed, seedling and turf procurement for efficacy testing in the Earth City, MO Plant Science Product Evaluation Laboratory.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
Education and Experience Profile
- Assist in the design of experiments, research project initiation and execution of inhouse efficacy testing
- Maintain detailed and accurate records of experimental tests, summarize test results and provide recommendations, identify development opportunities for product label expansion or further research.
- Plant care: seeding, transplanting, watering, applying fertilizer, scouting for disease/pests
- Manage lab safety and hygiene aspects, and restock consumable inventories to maintain a highly productive and efficient laboratory
- Maintain equipment in Plant Science Product Evaluation Laboratory
- Partner with formulators and technical team to research and evaluate new active ingredients and emerging technologies
- Support outreach and product education activities
- Comply with all company policies and procedures
- Bachelor's degree in agronomic sciences (or related field) with 3+ years in agronomic sciences work experience or Master's degree with 1-year relevant experience.
- Candidates who have recently graduated from college are also eligible.
- Experience conducting weed control trials to evaluate herbicides with respect to efficacy, crop tolerance, soil behavior, dose response, and other related experimental techniques needed.
- A deep understanding of herbicides and plant pest solutions is a plus
- Preference will be given to applied field research experience.
- Experience in working independently with minimal supervision.
- Skilled at interacting and communicating with internal and external customers and peers
- Excellent oral and written communication, and presentation skills.
- Flexibility in shifting among projects
- Ability to operate equipment such as mowers, utility carts, sprayers, spreaders, and other typical equipment used to maintain lawns and greenhouses
- Ability to lift 50 lb.
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Working knowledge of statistical analyses
- Knowledge of laboratory operations and safety requirements.
- Thorough knowledge of Good Experimental Practices (GEP) requirements.
- PC skills (spreadsheet, word processing, presentations).
- Ability to work well in a team environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels within the organization.
70% grow lab, 30% office environment and up to 20% travel
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this job/classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Spectrum Brands is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.